About The Surf Academy: Our NSSIA Accredited programs introduce ocean safety and surfing etiquette, discuss ocean science topics such as waves and tides, marine biology, winds, coastal ecology and beach profiles, teaches stretching and exercises for students and provides closely supervised instruction in the water. We provide 5 adults to 1 certified lifeguard/surf instructor while on the beach and in the ocean. Students are taught the surfing lineup to maintain control and safety at all times within small groups. All students must be comfortable in the surf zone.
Adult Surf Academy: Our Surfing academy will help you enjoy and appreciate the ocean while experiencing the thrill of surfing. Northeast Surfing academies introduce ocean safety and surf etiquette, discuss ocean science topics such as waves and tides, marine biology, winds, coastal ecology and beach profiles, wetsuit education, surfboard education, teaches stretching and exercises for surfers and provides closely supervised instruction in the water. Everyone taking one of the surfing academy's should be strong swimmers, be comfortable in the surf area, and be able to tread water for a minimum of 1 minutes.
Schedule For Adults Surf Academy 2023: For Adults our Surfing or Paddleboarding Academy will be afternoons 5:45pm to 7:45pm, Monday thru Friday. Starting on the Monday on the weeks posted below, only 7 students per academy class will be allowed. Whether you are new to surfing or have been surfing for a years, our week academies can help you. We teach on nuptial levels in small classes separated by skill level. No matter your ability we are here to teach you the industry standards.
- Nights – Monday July 17th, 2023 to Friday July 21st, 2023.
- Nights – Monday July 24th, 2023 to Friday July 28th, 2023.
- Nights – Monday July 31st, 2023 to Friday August 4th, 2023.
- Nights – Monday August 7th, 2023 to Friday August August 11th, 2023.
- Nights – Monday August 14th, 2023 to Friday August 18th, 2023.
- Nights - Monday August 21st, 2023 to Friday August 25th, 2023.
- Nights - Monday August 28th, 2023 to Fridays September 1st, 2023.
Wetsuits? Included no additional cost. Coast of the Program? (click here for full price list.)
Daily Activities: We are a Surf Company offering week long surfing academy, we are not a camp. Everything starts with the basics. In Surfing, nothing beats a good groundwork of fundamental skills, as this will make the learning process easier and a lot more fun. Moreover, getting those basics right during the early stages of learning will help improve your performance, giving you more confidence before actually riding a wave. Learning the basics in a Surf academy is definitely to your advantage as it will make the learning process easier and much quicker. In this section, know the different skills you need to learn in Surfing:
- Body & Board Positioning - Having the right position will improve board stability. This is also in preparation for the technique that every beginner wants to do - standing on a Surfboard.
- Getting into the Water - After assuming the right position of your body on the board while on the beach, you can move on to the real playground. Learn how to get into the water with your board.
- Paddling - Paddling the right way is one of the most important techniques to learn in Surfing. In this section, learn how to paddle and pick up some pointers on how to make paddling efficient.
- Eskimo Roll / Turtle Roll- If you are a beginner or you are using a Longboard, you cannot duck dive to get through big waves and whitewater. Do the Eskimo Roll / Turtle Roll
- Duck Diving - Duck Diving is an efficient way of getting out of a breaking wave. It is similar to how ducks dive under the waves, hence the name. Learn how to duck dive in this section.
- Lining Up - Line up refers to the location where the wave breaks. In this section, know the ideal position in a line up and learn how to maintain order in an area where skilled surfers congregate. Learning where to sit on the wave, take off points, and more.
- Sitting on the Surfboard - Sitting on your Surfboard gives you a better view of the oncoming waves than when you are paddling out. Learn how to sit on your board in this section.
- Catching a Wave - You obviously cannot surf without knowing how to catch a wave correctly. In this section, pick up some helpful tips on how to catch an unbroken wav
- Wipeout - In the Surfing world, Wipeout means falling off your Surfboard. This can lead to injuries, so it is important to be very cautious when wiping out.
- Standing on the Surfboard (on the beach) - You have reached the final phase where you culminate everything you have learned. But before you try to stand up on your board out in the water, make sure to do this drill first.
- Standing on the Surfboard (in the water) - Standing on the Surfboard as you ride the waves is an exhilarating experience. As a popular saying goes, 'only a surfer knows the feeling'. Learn how to do the pop-up in this section. Nobody says that learning to surf is a piece of cake, though it is our goal to teach you or your child how to stand on the surfboard and surf a wave.
- Paddleboarding - We will teach you where to stand on the board, the different positions, terms, how to paddle correctly, turning, standing, prone, knee, weather, winds, and work on core balance.
- Gear - We talk about gear and how to choose a surfboard, all about wetsuits and more.
- Education - We will teach you all about surfing education, rip tides, weather, swell, tides, and more.